Skip to content. | Skip to navigation


Palazzo Municipale

Begun in 1245, the City Hall was the residence of the Este family until the 16th century. The main entrance is through Volto del Cavallo, opposite the cathedral, and is flanked by two sculptures, copies of the original 15th century ones.
Palazzo Municipale

To the right, above an arch designed by Leon Battista Alberti, is a statue of Niccolò III d’Este on horseback; to the left, seated on a column, is his son Borso. The present-day facade is a neo-Gothic reconstruction that includes the Torre della Vittoria, where the bronze monument to Victory, a work of great value by Arrigo Minerbi (1918) is housed. In the courtyard of honour the architect Pietro Benvenuti degli Ordini began construction of the covered monumental staircase at the end of the 15th century. Once through the main door, two large rooms, still with remains of Renaissance decoration, are crossed before reaching a modern room which leads into the Stanzino delle Duchesse, which probably belonged to Eleonora and Lucrezia d’Este, the sisters of Duke Alfonso II.

Related documents


Working Days: 9.00 - 13.00; Tuesdays and Thursdays: 9.00-13.00; 15.00-17.00.

The Sala dell'Arengo and the Stanzino delle Duchesse can accommodate a limited number of visits on request.

Closing days

  • Saturday
  • Sundays and holidays


Free entrance.


Ferrara - Piazza Municipale, 2

How to get here

Pedestrian area.
On foot: 3 minutes from the Castle Estense
By bus: No. 3C from the train station, stop at Teatro Comunale.

Google maps

last modified Dec 22, 2023 12:39
Chiudi menu
Tourist Information