Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Sections

Palazzo Schifanoia

The name of the palace derives from the motto 'schivar la noia' meaning 'avoid tedium' and refers to the building's function as a place for fun and recreation as it was an Estense ‘Delizia’ (palace for recreation).
Palazzo Schifanoia

Building on Schifanoia began at the end of the 1300s in a very green area near the river Po. Nowadays, the palace has the appearance of a long building divided into two wings: the single-storey 14th-century wing to the west (home to the Civic Museum) and to east the two-storey 15th-century wing which makes up Duke Borso's extension of the years 1465-1467. The façade, at one time crowned with crenellations and frescoed with fake polychrome marble, is distinguished by an elegant marble portal designed by Francesco del Cossa.

The most famous and interesting room is definitely the Sala dei Mesi (Room of the Months), frescoed by Ferrara painters of the 15th century: Francesco del Cossa, Ercole de' Roberti and others. Painted pilaster strips divide the wails into squares, each corresponding to a month.

Opening

The Museum is closed to public. SALA DEI MESI (Room of the Months): REOPENING MARCH 12nd, 2020.

How to get here

On foot: 20 minutes from the Castle Estense
By bus: No. 1 and No. 9 from the Railway Station and the Castle Estense, stop - Hospital in C.so Giovecc (600 meters); No. 6 from V.le Cavour and from the castle, stop Alfonso d'Este (300 meters).
Accessible by car (parking only on street nearby).

last modified Feb 22, 2020 03:14
Chiudi menu
Tourist Information