Skip to content. | Skip to navigation


Romanesque Church of San Venanzio

The Romanesque church of St. Mary Savonuzzo, otherwise known as the church of San Venanzio, was built in 1344 above an old riverbed, by the orders of Giovanni da Saletta, the local overlord, as shown on the wall plaque on the facade.
Romanesque Church of San Venanzio

In 1466, following the death of the last male heir in the Saletta family, the church was left in a will to the Poveri di Cristo order. In 1458 the new overlord appointed by Leonello d'Este, Folco da Villafora, redeemed from the Poveri di Cristo the rights that they held over the little church, and it remained under the patronage of Villafora until the XVIIth. Century, when the entire holding passed to the Varano Dukes of Camerino. In 1889 the Varano properties were bought at an auction by the Finzi-Minerbi company. The Church of San Venanzio, having been deconsecrated in 1918, was then used as a storage depot for agricultural implements and as a silo for hemp. Some remains of the attractive XIVth century frescoes have been restored inside the church, based on stories from the life of the Virgin, to whom the church was dedicated.


Open from April 1st to September 30th: Saturday and Sunday 16 - 19.

Guided tours for groups only by previous arrangement at the Municipal Library (tel. 0532 864633).


Free entrance


Saletta - Via per S. Venanzio

How to get here

By car: from Ferrara in Copparo direction along SP2, after about 10 km, arrived in the village of Corlo, turn left in via Saletta and stright on to the church.
By bus:
suburban line 500-700 Ferrara-Saletta -Gorino.
Google maps

last modified Apr 18, 2024 12:41
Chiudi menu
Tourist Information