Sections
Breadcrumbs background

Sant'Agostino

This town was erected along the bank of the Reno river and was once known as "Sant’Agostino of the Swamps", given the area’s vulnerability to frequent flooding. Finally, in 1767, the course of the river was diverted through the lagoons of the Poggio and the situation changed. The land was progressively turned over to farming and life improved quickly. The town’s new-found wealth and importance was reflected by its establishment as an autonomous Commune in 1816, followed by the construction of significant buildings.

last modified Mar 22, 2012 09:44
Chiudi menu
Tourist Information