Skip to content. | Skip to navigation


The Wheat Loggia and The Clock Tower and

In the centre of the city in Via Ugo Bassi one can see the Civic Tower an the Wheat Loggia. At one time the Tower and the Loggia stood between the magnificent Piazza Bridge which was demolished in 19th century.
The Wheat Loggia and The Clock Tower and

Beneath this arched bridge the water flowed from San Pietro crossing the town from north to south into Carmine Port in Valle Isola. The waterways while following their course have their own names. The largest canal in the centre was called Marchesina Canal as was the street parallel to it (now called Via Edgardo Fogli). Here was the seat of the temporal power of the governon and spiritual power of the Bishop of Comacchio. The Tower, after being completely destroyed in 1816, was reconstructed in 1800s and based on an old 1300s tower.

In the semicircular niche a Madonna with Child dating back to 1600s has been inserted. A mechanical clock was added in 1872.

The Wheat Loggia is one of the first works wanted by Pontiff in 1600 and was built during.

Cardinal Giacomo Serra's legation (1615-1623). The colums are of Istria stone and pillars are built in brick.

The columns and pillars supported the public granary stock in a rectangular room. The brick face has distinctly framed square openings. This building has recently been attributed to the architect Giovan Battista Aleotti from Ferrara, also known as l'Argenta.


last modified Mar 16, 2020 04:55
Chiudi menu
Tourist Information