Sections
Breadcrumbs background

Jolanda di Savoia

The village was originally called "Le Venezie"; its name was changed in 1911, on the occasion of a visit of king Vittorio Emanuele III, in honor of his newborn daughter. The village itself did not develop until drainage took place on a large scale and displays all the typical architectural and planning features of the towns that grew up in the areas reclaimed for agriculture in the 20th century. The roads and canals cut the fields and the divisions between farms with straight lines, creating a landscape of widely extending empty spaces that seem never-ending, perfectly orthogonal metaphysical places, isolated and lonely in the silent vastness, where the horizon is only interrupted by agricultural machinery. The locality "Due Magoghe" is the lowest land with respect to the sea level not only in the entire province of Ferrara but also in Italy (about -4 m).

last modified Mar 20, 2012 03:22
Chiudi menu
Tourist Information