Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Sections
Unesco

Ferrara, città del Rinascimento,
e il suo Delta del Po

Churches, baptisteries

Cathedral
The cathedral of Ferrara dates from the 12th century and bears witness to all the historical periods of the city. The outstanding façade, divided into three sections, was begun in Romanesque style, still visible in the lower part.
Church of Gesu'
Built for the Jesuits in 1570 to the design ofthe architect Alberto Schiatti, the church has a simple and austere brick façade, divided into two sections and with three portals decorated with marble.
Church of San Cristoforo alla Certosa
The building of the present-day church, attributed to Biagio Rossetti, began in 1498 and ended in 1551.
Church of S. Domenico
The Dominican complex, composed of the church and the large monastery, little of which still exists, was located exactly on the line that divided the medieval city from the Renaissance one.
Church of San Francesco
The church, erected in 1594 on a pre-existing Franciscan complex, the church is a masterpiece of the architect Biagio Rossetti.
Church of San Giorgio
The presence of the church, dedicated to the patron saint of the city, is documented as long ago as the 10th century.
Church of San Paolo
The building was reconstructed in its present-day form after the earthquake of 1570 by the architect Alberto Schiatti. The ex-convent with two elegant cloisters still stands alongside it.
Church of Santa Maria in Vado
Of ancient origins, the church was built near a ford (vado in Italian) that crossed one of the many canals that intersected the area.
Personal tools
Reserved area