Sections

Churches, baptisteries

Ferrara

Cathedral

The cathedral of Ferrara dates from the 12th century and bears witness to all the historical periods of the city. The outstanding façade, divided into three sections, was begun in Romanesque style, still visible in the lower part.

Church of Gesu'

Built for the Jesuits in 1570 to the design ofthe architect Alberto Schiatti, the church has a simple and austere brick façade, divided into two sections and with three portals decorated with marble.

Temple of San Cristoforo alla Certosa

In 1452, Borso d’Este promoted the construction of a Carthusian monastery away from the core of the city TEMPORARILY CLOSED WHILE AWAITING REPAIRS FOLLOWING THE EARTHQUAKE

Church of S. Domenico

The Dominican complex, composed of the church and the large monastery, little of which still exists, was located exactly on the line that divided the medieval city from the Renaissance one.

Church of San Francesco

The church, erected in 1594 on a pre-existing Franciscan complex, the church is a masterpiece of the architect Biagio Rossetti.

Church of San Giorgio

The presence of the church, dedicated to the patron saint of the city, is documented as long ago as the 10th century.

Church of San Paolo

The building was reconstructed in its present-day form after the earthquake of 1570 by the architect Alberto Schiatti. The ex-convent with two elegant cloisters still stands alongside it.

Church of Santa Maria in Vado

Of ancient origins, the church was built near a ford (vado in Italian) that crossed one of the many canals that intersected the area.

Argenta

Pieve di San Giorgio

Argenta was possibly already a castle in Ravenna's Exarchate period. Before long, however, this community - like Ferrara - had to organise its life around two separate cores: one military/commercial, the other civic/religious.

Cento

The Basilica Collegiata S. Biagio

The Basilica Collegiata di S. Biagio is Cento's main church.

Comacchio

Cathedral of San Cassiano

In the huge square called St. Cassiano the beautiful town Cathedral rises up with its 18th century solemn bell tower.

Curch of the Suffrace - S. Antonio Church

Church of Suffrage i salso called Church of Saint Antony from Padua was built in 1644.

Carmine Church

This church can be found in the Carmine area and it is dedicated to to the Blessed Virgin of Mount Carmelo, the oldest existing one. Built rather humbly it dates back to the beginning of 1600s.

Church of Rosary

Adjacent to the Piazza del Popolo, now called Via Vicenzino Folegatti, it was built between 1622 aand 1640 by the Confraternity of the holy Rosary.

Copparo

Romanesque Church of San Venanzio

The Romanesque church of St. Mary Savonuzzo, otherwise known as the church of San Venanzio, was built in 1344 above an old riverbed, by the orders of Giovanni da Saletta, the local overlord, as shown on the wall plaque on the facade.

Masi Torello

San Leonardo Abate Church

Dedicated to Saint Leonard, Abbot of Noblac at Limoges in France

Ostellato

Pieve di San Vito

The church, dedicated to Saints Vito, Modesto and Crescenzio and dating back to 1027, was built on the remains of an older building.

Portomaggiore

Pieve di San Michele Arcangelo

The parish church was founded before the 15th century, but it was rebuilt in the 18th century.

Sant'Agostino

Parish Church of Sant'Agostino

Following the damage caused by the Reno breaking its banks,...

Vigarano Mainarda

Church of SS. Pietro e Paolo

This very ancient church was first mentioned in a document dated 1143 but it was rebuilt in the 16th century and modified to the Baroque style in 1776 by the architect Antonio Foschini.

last modified Apr 20, 2012 04:11
Chiudi menu
Tourist Information