Art and culture
Giovanni Romei became administrator to the lords of Ferrara and married the princess Polissena d’Este. On the Via di San Francesco he had a house built that showed his high ranking.
The cathedral of Ferrara dates from the 12th century and bears witness to all the historical periods of the city. The outstanding façade, divided into three sections, was begun in Romanesque style, still visible in the lower part.
The Cathedral Museum of Ferrara is sited in the ex church of San Romano. It forms part of the Civic Museums of Ancient Art and mostly holds objects belonging to the Cathedral.
Built for the Jesuits in 1570 to the design ofthe architect Alberto Schiatti, the church has a simple and austere brick façade, divided into two sections and with three portals decorated with marble.
The Dominican complex, composed of the church and the large monastery, little of which still exists, was located exactly on the line that divided the medieval city from the Renaissance one.
The building of the present-day church, attributed to Biagio Rossetti, began in 1498 and ended in 1551.
The church, erected in 1594 on a pre-existing Franciscan complex, the church is a masterpiece of the architect Biagio Rossetti.
The presence of the church, dedicated to the patron saint of the city, is documented as long ago as the 10th century.
The building was reconstructed in its present-day form after the earthquake of 1570 by the architect Alberto Schiatti. The ex-convent with two elegant cloisters still stands alongside it.
Of ancient origins, the church was built near a ford (vado in Italian) that crossed one of the many canals that intersected the area.
It was called Via degli Angeli after the church of St. Mary of the Angels that once rose at the end of it.
This street, built by Biagio Rossetti by demolishing the old walls, forms the link between the Medioeval city to the south, and the Addizione Erculea to the north,...
In Ferrara in 1385, a dangerous revolt convinced Niccolò II d’Este of the need to erect mighty defences for himself and his family thus the Castello di San Michele was built, a fortress erected against the people.
UNESCO, the United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organisation, included the territory around Ferrara in its lists on two separate occasions.
TEMPORARILY CLOSED. Re-opening after restoration. The Boldini Museum is dedicated to the Ferrarese painter who lived between 1842 and 1931.
The house, probably built to the design of Girolamo da Carpi, has a simple but elegant brick façade.
In the heart of the medieval city lies the ghetto, an area which conserves the memories of the centuries-old Jewish Community of Ferrara and where the same community was from 1627 to 1961.
TEMPORARILY CLOSED. Re-opening after restoration. In the Jewish Museum there is an exhibition of traditional and ceremonial objects that illustrate different aspects of the life of every Jew, from birth (pidyón, or redemption, and objects for circumcision) to death (fragments of tombstones and wooden blocks placed in graves).
The Lapidary Museum, housed in the ex-church of Santa Libera, has a rich collection of Roman works in marble from the province of Ferrara.
The Modern and Contemporary Art Gallery houses important, prestigious temporary exhibitions organised in collaboration with Ferrara Arte,...
The monastery stands in the old part of the city, at the centre of a maze of narrow streets, in one of medieval Ferrara's smartest areas, just a stone's throw from San Francesco and the palace once owned by the Este family.
Set in the heart of the medieval city, the monastery still gives the sense of isolation and tranquillity it did during its early years, when it stood upon an island in the middle of the Po.
The theatre of Ferrara was built between 1790 and 1797, under the direction of Antonio Foschini and Cosimo Morelli.
The museum guests rare and precious testimonies of the partecipation of the ferraresi patriots in the epic deed of the Italian Risorgimento.
TEMPORARILY CLOSED. Re-opening after restoration. The Museum of the Ottocento begins with three rooms chiefly dedicated to religious subjects (Giovanni Pagliarini Madonna and Child) and historical ones (Gaetano Turchi Torquato Tasso in Sant’Anna).
TEMPORARILY CLOSED. Re-opening after restoration. Exposition begins with two works by Mario Sironi: Justice and Mural Composition.
The museum offers the visitor a broad review of mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fish, birds, invertebrates and insects covering branches of the natural sciences such as zoology (the ornithological collection is particularly well-endowed) and entomology.
Situated in the 14th-century wing of the Palazzo Schifanoia since 1898, it houses works of a various nature including paintings, manuscripts, small bronzes, objects in ivory and decorated ceramics.